5 easy ways to go green at home
Changing your lifestyle to be more environmentally conscious can feel a bit overwhelming. Here are some simple ways to start going green at home:
1. Go paperless. Consider switching to electronic banking and credit card payments, get off any junk mail lists you’re currently on, and sign up for subscriptions to your favorite newspapers and magazines so you can read them on your phone or tablet instead of having them mailed to your home. You can also replace paper towels and napkins with cloth ones.
2. Use less plastic. Make an effort to buy recyclable materials whenever possible. Bring your own reusable bags to the grocery store and reuse any old plastic bags as trash can liners. Reuse and recycle your water bottles, or replace them with glass ones…each day, 60 million plastic water bottles are thrown away!
3. Conserve water. If possible, install low-flow faucets, showerheads, and toilets in your home. Try to limit the length of your showers and don’t run the water when brushing your teeth. Though these can be tough habits to break, every little bit counts when it comes to water consevration. You can even try collecting rainwater to water your garden and lawn.
4. Use reusable cups. It can be tempting to get your daily caffeine fix from a drive-thru or your favorite coffee chain. However, using just one disposable cup per day still equals an entire tree’s worth of paper and over 11 pounds of non-recyclable trash. Try a reusable cup or thermos instead.
5. Turn off lights and electronics when not in use. This includes unplugging cell phone chargers and surge protectors from the wall when you’re not using them. If possible, install motion-activated lights that automatically turn off when no one is in the room.
Check out these other tips for going green at work and home. Read more >>